Lightspeed is growing quickly and we’re looking for a great colleague who is also a passionate Senior Data Engineer to join our Montreal-based Corporate Data Team. The primary role for this position is to build data pipelines for our corporate stakeholders.
If you have worked on large data ingestion / data engineering projects and you’re proficient in data modeling, you’re a natural-born problem-solver and always willing to develop products that solve real-world problems for customers around the globe, this might be the role for you.
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Design, build, develop, and maintain data transformation pipelines consolidating various data sources (streaming or batch) into specific Data Lakes /Warehouses
- Design, build and develop Analytical and Business Intelligence solutions
- Ensure the highest standard of data governance by crafting data contracts and service level agreements, automating data lineage tracking, data cataloging and runtime validations
- Prototype and develop solutions using statistical methods; data mining, machine learning, AI, etc.
- Work as part of a team to deliver product features and functionality
- Translate requirements into conceptual and detailed designs with estimates
- Develop clean, maintainable code in a continuous integration + continuous deployment environment
- Assist QA and Support staff in troubleshooting software issues as well as implementing bug fixes
What you’ll be bringing to the team:
- Experience designing data systems; data sourcing, accessibility, security, quality, governance, discovery, and integration into business processes
- Senior level experience developing reliable, highly available and scalable software
- Expert in SQL, including advanced analytical queries, window functions, CTEs and query optimization
- Fluent with Python and Java
- Experience with cloud environments (in particular GCP) as well as cloud solutions like Kubernetes, Docker, etc.
- Experience with both relational (SQL) and non-relational (NoSQL) databases
- Experience with batch data pipelining frameworks (i.e., Airflow, Luigi, Yarn)
- Experience with real time messaging systems (Pub/Sub, Kafka, etc.)
- Familiarity with data warehousing and dimensional data modelling for analytics
- Strong interest/experience in data mining, machine learning, statistical methods, AI, etc.
- Strong proficiency in a UNIX/Linux environment
- Knowledge of source control with Git, CI/CD pipelining, and experience writing automated unit and functional tests
- Have a security mindset - should be able to understand compliances (GDPR, SOX, CCPA)
- Excellent communication skills
- Willingness to mentor junior team members
- Experience working in an Agile development environment
- BS/BA in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
Even better if you have, but not necessary:
- Familiarity with infrastructure-as-code implementation (i.e., Terraform)
- Proven skills in server side resource profiling, optimization and debugging
To all recruitment agencies: Lightspeed does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. If we have not directly engaged your company in writing to supply candidates for a specific vacancy, Lightspeed will not be responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Where to from here?
Obviously, this has to be mutually beneficial: we want you to step into a role you love, and we want to offer you a place you’re proud to come to every day. For a glimpse into our world check out our career page here.
Lightspeed is building communities through commerce, and we need people from all backgrounds and lived experiences to do that. We were founded in 2005, in Montreal’s gay village and our original members were all part of the LGBTQ+ community. The ethos of our business has been about inclusion from the very beginning, and we strive to provide a workplace where everyone belongs.
Who we are:
Lightspeed (TSX/NYSE: LSPD) powers the businesses that are the backbone of the global economy.
Our one-stop commerce platform transforms and unifies digital and physical operations by enabling multichannel sales, expansion to new locations, global payments, financial solutions and connection to supplier networks. With the Lightspeed commerce platform, merchants in retail and hospitality can build thriving businesses for the future.
Headquartered in Montréal, Canada, Lightspeed is trusted by favourite local businesses, where the community goes to shop and dine in over 100 countries. Lightspeed has offices in Canada, the USA, Europe, Russia and APAC.
We’re passionate about enabling people to do their best work. We dream big and we’re looking for people who do the same. With us, career milestones happen often and we celebrate every one. Come work with us and find out where your career will take you at Lightspeed!